Friday, September 23, 2011

The Value of a Word: Journal Thoughts

      "Saturday night was youth/singles group.  I was a little bit frustrated by the end because I don't follow well in conversation.  I follow, but about a minute behind."  [Disclaimer: one-on-one dialogue is better, when more than three people are talking is when I get lost.]  "So unless someone directly asks me a question and is willing to wait for the answer, I have nothing to share in the conversation.  It's really frustrating for me, because I feel like what I have to say has value.  Granted, it's not always important, but sometimes a thought will be so clear--yet one minute late.

Maybe the Lord is teaching me to be silent.

Maybe He's teaching me to listen.

Maybe He's telling me to get to know the people I'm talking to before I share things
    that are culturally inappropriate or just have no need to be said.
 
       How much eternal value do my words really have?  Most of what I wasn't able to say over the weekend would've burned: wood, hay, & straw.

Maybe God is giving me the opportunity to change my wood, hay, & straw in for gold, silver, and precious stones (1 Corinthians 3:12)

--the time to slow my speech,
                  to weigh my words,
                               to test them with fire,
                                             & to speak words useful for eternity.

I'm anxious to speak, Lord; I miss being able to easily communicate truth.  Fill me with your love, joy, peace, PATIENCE, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, & self-control."

No comments: