Wednesday, September 05, 2012

It's The Little Things

Las Residentas
This month has been encouraging as I am seeing each day little ways that I fitting in more and more.


*I lost my temporary ID card last week*
Plus side--I apply for a new one in November, and can carry around a copy of the lost one until then.  Encouraging side--I called the hospital and the pharmacy where I thought I may have lost it to see if someone had found it.  Why is that encouraging?  I didn't panic before the phone call...and it wasn't until afterwards that I realized I'd made a phone call without really thinking about it.

*I was able to clear up a situation with a friend*
I hadn't realized that I'd hurt a friend recently, and she came to me to express how she felt.  We were able to sit and talk, clear things up, and heal our friendship.  
Encouraging side: It takes quite a lot of language & cultural understanding to be able to heal relationships. 

*I'm able to start a new ministry*
A few weeks ago I started a new ministry at church--managing the power points at church.  It's been encouraging to see that I'm able to keep up with the flow of the church services.

*People miss me*
Okay, this one's going to sound weird based on the who and why.  This week I had to swap out the LP tank for my stove, and the little gummy thing went out with the old tank.  So I had to go to the hardware store for the first time in months.  The Friendly Neighborhood Hardware Man talked to me despite helping out other customers, and called me "Carinata!"  (I call myself Car-ee in Spanish, like car from auto, he added a term of endearment on the end.)  His daughter, Karina, was there, too.  He said, "You never come anymore!"  "I got everything fixed in the house."  "I'm going to send someone there (to mess things up) so you'll have to come back more."   Lucky for him, I'll be back soon for more mouse traps and something potent for roaches.

*We're starting to think alike*
The other day a friend was here & she started singing a song that I had stuck in my head.  All. Day. Long.  I looked at her and said "Have I whistled that since you got here?" (Those of you who know me, know I whistle almost constantly...horrible habit.)  "No, it's just been stuck in my head all day" she replied.  Wow.

No comments: