Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Grutas de Garcia: Caves

I was able to spend Easter Sunday in a much better way than last year.  Those of you who have been with me a while may remember that this time last year I was battling pneumonia.  This year I was able to hike up a mountain to go look at caves!

These caves were found in the 1800s by a Jesuit priest.  They are a main attraction for anyone visiting Monterrey.
The vertical climb here was nearlyl 1/2 mile.  You can see the trail doing switchbacks the entire way up the mountain.
This is the first room we walked into, after hiking in 90 degree weather, we welcomed the cool air of the caves!
A close-up of the stalagmites
Stalagmites and stalactites: met in the middle
This formation was covered in Christmas lights and called the Christmas tree
The "Hand of Death"

It was great to be able to spend the afternoon among God's handiwork.  Though many would say it took millions of years to create these formations, I couldn't help but wonder if they were quick formations from the flood.  I have no sure way of knowing this side of eternity, but I can't help but wonder!

1 comment:

Melissa G said...

How cool! It looks like you had a great trip!