Friday, October 09, 2009

Learning Family Relationships

When I first arrived in Mexico, one of the first things I learned in Spanish was how to say who I was related to and how I was related to them. So I learned things like, "abuelos" (grandparents), "primos" (cousins), and "hermano" (brother).

Today during a language session, I got a "surprise" revisit to family relationships. Somehow the song "I'm My Own Grandpa" came up, and since I have it on my computer, we listened to it. My language helper is very good at English, so she was able to follow along for most of the song--much better than my first time hearing it! We drew a diagram of "Grandpa's" family which never forks:
The benefit of this? ... Well, I was able to practice describing how they were related to each other--using relationships I know, and we found a few new ones, like "tio abuelo" (great uncle).

If you want to here the song, you can click on the song title above and listen on YouTube with a graph. You can also click on the photo to make it bigger!

Not my own grandma,
Carrie

1 comment:

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

Haha! I've always wondered how that worked in that song! now I know. Way to go on mapping it all out!